Ohio State EE/ECE Alumni Society Summer 2021 Virtual STEM ProjectsJun 23, 2021
The Ohio State University Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering is fortunate to have a STEM outreach all-star in Professor Betty Lise Anderson. Her efforts to create, supply and facilitate short, hands-on projects have exposed tens of thousands of children across the globe to the wonders of science and engineering principles to spark their understanding and interest in STEM.
While these projects are usually facilitated in person, the Ohio State Electrical Engineering/Electrical and Computer Engineering (EE/ECE) Alumni Society hosted a virtual presentation back in February that was wildly successful! Building on that success, we want to continue teaching your kids and grandkids (third graders and above) about fundamental electromagnetic and electrical principles.
During the construction of these activities, we’ll explain the underlying scientific and engineering principles in a manner that kids will understand. These events are perfect if you have children who’d be interested in a hands-on engineering project that they can do themselves.
The EE/ECE Alumni Society will work in conjunction with Professor Anderson to gather the core materials needed for these projects and send them to your home. Shipping is available within the United States only.
Three sessions are currently scheduled for August 2021. Space is limited. Please sign up early.
- August 1, 2021 – Introduction to Circuits: Build an LED Flashlight! (Grades 3-8)
- August 15, 2021 – Electromagnetic Basics: Build a Jumping Jack and Speaker! (Grades 4-12)
- August 22, 2021 – Wireless Energy Transfer! (Grades 8-12)
Household items that you’ll need to supply
For the projects, you will need to provide the following:
- Scotch Tape
- One AA Battery (Jumping Jack project)
- A music device that has a standard audio output jack (e.g. cell phone, iPad, iPod/MP3 player, etc.) (Speaker project)
- A D battery or a cylinder 1.25-1.5″ in diameter (Wireless Energy Transfer project)
If you have any questions, please reach out to Mark Morscher (BSEE 1989) at firstname.lastname@example.org